Aug 1, 2007

Bonsai Killers

When Jason and I were on our honeymoon in Disney World, we were shopping at some of the stores in Japan at Epcot. In one store, they had bonsai trees - every shape, every size, every price. Jason thought it would be great to get one, and we spent forever picking out the perfect tree. We took that little tree back to our apartment, thought it was the best thing, and even named it. Within a year it was dead. I don't know what in the world we did, but somehow we killed little J.T. Jason was so disappointed and always wanted another one. So, for our 5th anniversary this past June, I called down to the same little store where we bought J.T., the Mitsokoshi Department Store at Epcot, and talked to the sweetest Japanese woman. I explained the exact shape of our original tree and asked if she could ship me another one. I was so excited because she picked out an exact replica, and the package came while Jason was at work one day, so he had no clue! He gave me jewelry, but have no doubt he was more excited about that tree than I was about my diamond hoop earrings! Well, almost two months later, we are now on our way to killing another tree. WHAT are we doing??? I know bonsais need lots of sunlight, so I have put the tree on the back deck several days. We water it, and it even sits on our kitchen table so it can get lots of light when it's not outside. But, somehow we are still managing to kill this tree, too. When you touch it, the little pieces just fall right off. Can anybody tell us what we are doing wrong??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

JT awwww how sad I remember that tree!!! And its name!!! HAHAHAHAH Sorry no bonsai advice just chuckels up here in Taylors over the memories

Adriennealine said...

What kind of bonsai tree is it?

I don't have a green thumb at all, but, I asked around for you…

Have you tried changing the soil? Because the soil holds nutrients, it's possible that the tree's already sucked all of them out and needs new soil or fertilizer. However, since your anniversary wasn't too long ago… I'd be surprised if that really was the case. You could be watering it too much, only water it when the soil looks dry and if there are rocks on the top of the soil take them off until the tree is better. I would leave it outside in as much sun as possible.

Hope J.T. the 2nd feels better soon!

Anonymous said...

I've got nothing...Beau and I killed our Bonsai tree, too. Good luck! Erin