Jul 16, 2007

Blueberry Muffins

I love to cook and bake. And, I especially love getting new recipes to try out. So, I thought every once in a while I would share new ones that come my way that I've really liked. Over the weekend, I had some frozen blueberries I needed to do something with, so I made blueberry muffins for our family on Saturday morning and made them again on Sunday for the college class we co-teach. They were a hit on both occasions. I doubled the streusel topping when I made it for the college kids, and I think that was just right.

Muffins
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh, canned (drained), or frozen blueberries

Streusel Topping (like I said, I doubled this)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons firm butter or stick margarine

1) Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease bottoms only of 12 medium muffin cups with shortening or line with paper baking cups.

2) Make streusel topping by mixing flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon in medium bowl. Cut in butter, using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until crumbly. Set aside.

3) Beat milk, oil, and egg in large bowl with fork or wire whisk. Stir in flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt all at once just until flour is moistened (batter will be lumpy). Fold in blueberries. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Sprinkle muffins evenly with streusel topping.

4) Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. If baked in a greased pan, let stand about 5 minutes, then remove from pan; if baked in paper cups, immediately remove from pan.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look sooo good! I love blueberries too! Did you know I raked blueberries for a summer? I am convinced that was torture from my parents...hard work! would love a sample of your creation!