Nov 20, 2008

An Open Letter to Target

Dear Target,

Oh, the love affair we have experienced for the last several years! Together, we shared my wedding registry, my baby registry, date nights with my husband, girlfriend shopping trips, mommy-daughter excursions, and me-time. You've provided me with everything from personal items to impulse buys, and my love for you grew and grew over time. Then, slowly .... you began to change.

First came the Christmas shopping I tried to do online last year. I found the perfect toy for my daughter advertised on the main page for toys. I searched and searched for it by category, age, and brand but could never find it. Finally, I gave up and called the customer service line to inquire about the toy. Guess what I was told? You don't always carry all of the items advertised in pictures on your website, so that item probably wasn't even available for purchase from Target. Um .... what?!?!

Then, came the day I was quietly shopping with my daughter. She was being such a sweetheart that day, sitting quietly in the buggy, eating away at her fruit snacks. Suddenly, an employee appeared out of nowhere and practically shoved me aside as she reached into the cart to buckle my child in with the seat straps, all the while lecturing me about shopping cart safety. She walked away and happily chirped for me to have a nice day as I stared at her with my mouth wide open. It was that day I learned you have crazies that work for you.

One of the things that really began to mark a turn in our relationship was your new return policy. I know it's not just me, dear Target, who has a problem with this policy. I've heard many of your other faithfuls complain about the way you've changed in this area. I now shudder any time I think of making a Target return. It's the biggest hassle I've ever experienced at any store.

And, now, the Britax carseat fiasco, which I think may be the final nail in your coffin with some. You began to regain some of our affection when you offered this $280 carseat for $43. It was as if it was a small sign you still cared and wanted good things for us. So many moms jumped right on this offer. I, even though I wasn't in need of a carseat, considered buying it because you were offering us such a good deal ... for the next one I told myself. Although I didn't make the purchase, I can only imagine how enraged the other moms must have felt when you canceled their order citing an employee error for this pricing. Oh, sweet Target, do you realize what you are doing to your reputation with us? We're slowly, slowly growing apart because of your new ways. How we wish things could be the way they were.

With a heavy heart,
Your Friend

7 comments:

meetthesmiths said...

You are hilarious...I've always thought you had a gift for writing! hahaha! I'm crying because this made me laugh so hard. And I agree with you - Target is AWFUL in some areas, but still not awful enough to make me go to Super Wal-Mart...Target and I will just have to agree to disagree...

Danielle said...

Wow!! That whole buckling in Camryn part would have put me over the edge. What a fruit loop!!

Anonymous said...

WELL as the GREAT VALUE QUEEN I am ashamed of how TARGET has behaved! As far as the lady who buckled Cam in...I would have been hauled off by the police after I KILLED the lady for touching my child! How is it that I NEVER heard that before? Miriam is FURIOUS with Target and the whole carseat issue........I beg people NOT to buy us things from there because of the return policy! I do have to say the Taylors Target has some of the BEST employees! I don't know...I'm ton..not sure I want a divorce just yet.

The Cassidys said...

AMEN SISTER! That's all I've got to say! I feel the EXACT same way you do! Did you really send this to Target?? I sure hope so - not that it would matter a lot, but at least you would feel better about yourself that you got it off your chest. The return policy SUCKS!!!!

The Burleys said...

No, I didn't really send it to them, because I would be wasting my time. I remember emailing them once to tell them how frustrated I was when I got hassled trying to make a return. They didn't even apologize - just sent me an email copy of their return policy. SIGH!

Anonymous said...

Emily Said...
You are too funny!!!

Michelle said...

Was this the same carseat that was in the store for $43 or just one on-line. I saw one there that I wanted to get for Sam for 40 something....I'm hoping it's not the same one, b/c if so I should have bought it when I had the chance!! And how could you make a pricing mistake THAT big???

~M