Nov 11, 2008

Mommy Thoughts

I have had a lot of emotions about being a Mommy lately. No, I am not regretting it :) ... well, except for that incident with the poopy diaper that got spread all over the crib (just kidding!). I think it all stemmed from this post I read last week. Silly, I know, but I read it, had it in the back of my mind all day, and then cried myself to sleep that night because I dread my "empty nest day" when it comes. But, after I got off my emotional, crying roller coaster, I did start to really put some thought into how I'm doing as a mommy. I'm more than 2 1/2 years into this mommy thing now. Not very long, but realizing how quickly 2 1/2 years have passed, long enough that I think it's time for some self-assessment. Am I letting the things that are most important take priority? Am I on the right track for teaching her all of the values and things that I think she needs to know in order to be a successful, happy, respectful, Christian adult? Am I equipping her with what she needs in order not just to survive in life but thrive in life? Am I teaching her to make the right decisions? Am I using my time with her wisely? I want to do better. I know I already have a great kid, but I don't want her to be great in spite of me and any of my screw ups as a mommy! Then I read this post today (same blog - I'm telling you, it's great!) and it summed up everything I've been thinking lately. I want to be more patient, more available, more understanding, more loving. This is not an admission that I haven't done any of these things up to this point but just the realization that my time with her is short, and I want to excel at these things for her. I want her to be the Camryn God intends for her to be one day, I want to be an integral part of making that happen, and I want her memories of me to be some of the sweetest memories she has.

4 comments:

Alison said...

The mere fact that you are contemplating and worrying about all of these things just shows what a great mommy you are! You will instill all of these things and more! I love you.

Anonymous said...

Emily Said...
Heather, don't worry, you're a great mommy!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I know what you mean! I'm constantly reading on how to better this or that and in the end, it's probally the little things that count and make the biggest differences. Being a Mommy is a difficult job, but I think you are doing great :)

Jeff, Sarah Ellen, and Beck said...

I think you are a fantastic mother. I am so glad that I can learn from you before my children enter this world! I am looking into some insurance plans and housing options so that I can actually hire you to raise my children! :)