Nov 6, 2007

Crazy Morning

Sometimes I think I am the most thrown together mama on the planet. Camryn was diagnosed with a respiratory infection last week, so I have now added breathing treatments to my morning routine. The cough was not getting better so the doctor called in steroids yesterday to add to the breathing treatments which makes them last longer. I have to wake Camryn up a little earlier each morning to make sure we can fit it all in and am still rushing around trying to get out the door. I try to get some things in order the night before so I am more organized in the morning but sometimes my efforts fail. This morning I put the Cocky DVD in the player to have it ready to watch during our breathing treatments (the only way she will sit still through the whole thing). This requires the use of 3 different remote controls on which I am randomly pushing buttons just hoping they work (courtesy of my sweet husband and his surround sound-flat screen TV set up that I don't understand). Then I rushed to pull a clean shirt out of the dryer to throw on and grabbed pants on the drying rack that probably needed ironing. Threw those on and went in to get her. She woke up in a cranky mood and didn't like the first 2 shirts I picked out for her to wear. (By the way, why did I even let a 20 month old dictate to me which shirt she wanted to wear???) We get dressed and start the breathing treatment which is taking foooorrrreeevvveeerrrr to finish, and she's complaining that she wants bek-sit (breakfast). Finally I just shut it off b/c I HAD to get out the door and tell Jason to finish it after she eats. Next up - a battle over the blessing. Lately Camryn has not wanted to say the blessing before we eat because it delays her food. We say "God Is Great" ... I say each phrase and she says the last word. So, I put her in her chair and we have this conversation:

Me: Let's say the blessing.
Cam: No Law-uhd (Lord), bread, amen.
Me: Yes, we have to say the blessing before we eat.
Cam: Noooo beeesssssiiiinnngggg (starts crying at this point)
Me: Camryn, we have to say the blessing. We don't eat if we don't say the blessing. Do you want me to take your food?
Cam: Uh-huh

Ok ... obviously we are not getting anywhere with this conversation, I am getting exasperated, and I'm running late.

Me: Camryn, Mommy will throw your breakfast in the trash can if we do not say the blessing.

Not really ... but it worked. Jason is much better at this this I am. Last night when she fussed about the blessing he calmly told her we have to thank Jesus for our food. Me? I threaten to chuck it. We said the blessing, I kissed everyone, grabbed my stuff and headed out the door.

Before I even made it out of the driveway, I have to call Jason to remind him where her jacket is because I didn't put it by the door. I hang up and realize I didn't tell him to rinse out the breathing machine stuff after he finishes. I'm putting on lipstick and fixing my collar as I drive down the road and realize I have buttons on my sleeve cuff that are unbuttoned. Do you know how hard it is to button those things by yourself? I couldn't believe I actually pulled into the parking lot at work at 7:59 ... one minute early.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHewwwwwwwwww GIRl and you are still a few months short of 2! BUT ALL IN ALL you are one of the BEST mommies around and you should be proud of yourself!!! I pray for you everyday....maybe I will have to do it in the mornings and not at bedtime...sounds like you need a little extra prayer push in the AM---

KLee said...

I very much understand what you are going through...at least the medical part of it! with the steriod and the albuterol it takes us at least 30 minutes! and when you are running late it does take FOREVER! we usually have the debate over which movie to watch. our collection is growing. sometimes i am not sure if it really is a good thing or not!