Mar 31, 2009

Couponing 101

My friend Amanda has gotten really good at couponing. I've been reading her blog for the past couple of weeks and have been inspired to try to do some money saving myself! This past Sunday, I sat down with the coupon inserts and all the weekly specials. Here's what I got on my first money saving venture to CVS:

Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner Foam 2/$5.00
Used 2 $0.75 off coupons
$1.75 each after coupons


Colgate Total Whitening Toothpaste 2/$5.00 PLUS $1 Extra Care Buck (ECB)
Used 1 $0.75 off coupon & 1 $1.00 off coupon
$1.75 for one, $1.50 for the other PLUS one had a free toothbrush attached - SCORE!


Glade Sense & Spray Air Freshener $5.99 PLUS $1 ECB
Used $4.00 off coupon
$1.99 after coupon


Scrubbing Bubbles Tub & Shower Action Scrubber Starter Kit $2.99
Used $2.75 off coupon
$0.24 after coupon


Electrasol Powerball Tabs on sale for $3.99
Used $1.00 off coupon
$2.99 after coupon


Windex Original Glass & Surface Wipes 2/$5.00
Used 2 $0.75 off coupons
$1.75 each after coupons


TOTAL after tax: $17.11
Total Savings: $27.79


Then, in a separate transaction (so I could use my ECB's), I bought:


Sally Hansen Creme Bleach priced at $5.29
Sale: Buy 1, Get 1 Free
Used 2 $1.00 off coupons
Used $2 ECB's
After tax, $0.88 each after coupons and ECB's!
Spent $1.55 on this transaction
Saved $9.29!!!


Other great deals I got:

Food Lion has Wishbone Salad Dressings on sale 10/$10.00
I bought 3 at $1.00 each
Used 2 $0.75 off coupons and 1 $0.65 off coupon
Paid $0.25 for two bottles and $0.35 for another bottle!


Hall's Cough Drops 25 count at Walgreen's - regularly $2.49
Bought 2 packs using in store coupon which brought them down to $1.39 per bag
Used 2 $1.00 off coupons
After tax: $0.49 per bag!


Plan to go to Wal-Mart tomorrow ...
16 oz. Kraft Salad Dressings on sale for $1.58
Will use $1.50 off coupon
Will pay $0.08 after coupon!


See how much FUN this is!?!?


Some of these deals may not be the best in the world, but I am hoping to get better as I go and collect more coupons. All of these deals came from just the coupons that were in this past Sunday's paper (plus a few here and there I printed online). Some things I did learn this week: First, I can't be overly brand conscious. Truthfully, I've never used Scrubbing Bubbles or Electrosol Dishwasher Tabs. However, I'm sure they will clean my bathroom and dishes just fine. If not, then I'll chalk it up to experience and know to bypass those brands in the future! Secondly, I bought some things that I didn't necessarily need at this time but got them because they were a good deal. Nobody in my house is coughing right now so we don't need Hall's Cough Drops at the moment, and I don't have an immediate use for 3 bottles of Wishbone Italian Salad Dressing. However, at some point in the year, somebody will use the cough drops, and I plan to use the salad dressings as marinades or ingredients for suppers over the next few months. The point is, I'm buying ahead at good prices and stocking up for later. When the time comes that I need the cough drops, I won't have to spend money on those (and probably pay full price!) but may spend my money instead stocking up on shampoo or deodorant or something else that particular week that happens to be on sale. Once I get going, I hope to have a steady supply of things stocked up so I only have to replenish at times where I get the best deals!



My next mission is to go to Wal-Mart during my Spring Break with a list of several of the food and toiletry items we typically buy from there. I want to have a running record of the Wal-Mart price, which is where I typically shop, so I will know if comparatively, I am getting a good deal elsewhere or would come out better at Wal-Mart. See ... I'm serious about this!

3 comments:

Nichole Devescovi said...

Great job! Check out coupons.com and smartsource.com. They have some great ones you can print. I am not great at coupons, but I always check sales ads.

The Cassidys said...

I'm so proud I could cry! :) You did awesome your first time at CVS! I spent WAY too much , but did get a good big of RR's back (Walgreens). You spent less and got so much more! I can't wait to hear more about your ventures! My latest was getting 6 boxes of Wheat Thins - Artisan Cheeses for $1.50 - 25 cents a piece! Keep it up girl!

The McConnell Clan said...

Your killing me.....First Mom of the year, worlds best blogger, now coupon queen! Like Allen said I am no Heather! You inspire me!