Mar 20, 2009

Jon & Kate + Eight

I actually typed this post a couple of weeks ago. Since then, the Gosselins have gotten a lot of press over the fact that Jon has possibly been unfaithful and rumors of their separation. Now, the TLC commerical for next week's season finale is promising a major announcement, which I'm sure everyone thinks is that they are splitting up. For what it's worth, although I'm sure there is probably a huge strain in their marriage right now over everything going on, I think the announcement will be that the "fame" is getting to be a little too much for them and they are taking a break from filming or will have a reduced filming schedule. We'll see if I'm right. But, for now, here's the original post I wrote a few weeks ago ...

What do you think of this show? Jason and I have mixed feelings about it. Over the summer, we were addicted to it. We watched the new episode each Monday night and had it on our TV any time there was a rerun. I am amazed at how Jon and Kate manage a household of eight children. I do well just to handle one! Jason also bought Kate's book, Multiple Bes8ings, for me for Christmas and I really enjoyed reading it. Kate has a very strong faith, and this book is her testimony of sorts, in addition to the story of the sextuplets (I sound like I'm writing a review here, don't I?). So, all in all I do have respect for them because of the difficulties they've had to face and how they have handled them through their trust in God.

Now, on the flip side, we - Jason, especially - have a hard time watching the show now because of Kate's attitude and the way she talks to Jon. This is nothing new, but just seems to happen more frequently and intensely in recent shows. Sometimes, Jason will even suggest we change the channel, because it makes him so mad to watch her be so incredibly condescending. We recently watched an episode where they moved into their new house. Jon bought new shower heads (obviously from Bed, Bath & Beyond), and Kate ripped into him for it. First she belittled him for not using a coupon and then for not giving her the receipt from the purchase. Next, she followed him around the house and stood over him until he coughed up the receipt. Then, she gave him a speech like he was one of the kids and made him answer the question, "What is the rule about receipts, Jon?" I hear myself having conversations like this with my 3 year old child but not my husband! Another one that comes to mind is the yard sale episode where Jon forgets the kids' lunches at home (a recent rerun I've seen). Kate looks straight into the camera and belittles Jon (and men in general, by the way) because he forgot the lunches. You know, if I had 8 kids, I'd probably forget lunches every now and then, too. I'd probably be lucky to remember my own head most days. These are just a few of the bigger instances we've seen ... not to mention the every day snapping, ordering around, and fussing she does. We also think it's really not a good thing that she makes all of these condescending remarks right in front of the kids.

The funny thing is, we've had long conversations before between ourselves and with friends about whether or not Kate deserves our pity. Some people are on the side of the fence that she is managing a household of 10 people and is understandably stressed. I can appreciate that, but also believe she needs to show a little more respect to her husband who is her biggest helper and the only one who truly understands the life they are leading. If you notice, none of her other family members or friends are ever around any more, so I think he's the only one who's left! What do you think?

7 comments:

meetthesmiths said...

I've never been a fan of the show - mainly b/c of Kate's attitude. I have to agree with Jason - there is no excuse for speaking to your husband like that.

Melissa said...

We haven't watched the show much, but last Saturday Gary discovered it for the first time. He was intrigued. He asked why I didn't watch the show, and I told him that I thought Kate was a bully and Jon acts like he has no backbone. After watching a couple of back-to-back episodes Gary agreed, but we are both amazed at how they manage 8 kids. Our two are hard enough! I have always thought that Kate was mean to Jon.

Jeff, Sarah Ellen, and Beck said...

All I know is that someone once told me that I remind them of Kate, so I have done everything in my power to make sure I never do anything to make someone tell me that again.

The Cassidys said...

girl i agree with you! it is a very interesting show, but I've always felt like she was a little witchy and condesending towards her hubby. he NEVER looks happy! and yeah, i think raising 8 kids is the biggest challenge!

Nichole Devescovi said...

I used to love the show too...but Kate definitely bothers me. I feel she is very disrespectful to her husband and has a huge chip on her shoulder. I am sure it is very stressful to have so many kids...but they did not choose to be born into a large family, ya know? I try to tell myself that when overwhelmed by life...my children did not choose this and I should not take it out on them. I never want them to regret being in a larger family or to feel like I am always stressed because of it.

Amber said...

I love to watch the show...mainly because I love kids! I love to watch all eight of them and see how different each of them really is! I just find it entertaining...

As for Kate, I do agree that her attitude is horrible! I am glad to hear that she has a strong Christian faith(thats something I didnt know!) but I also think that if she has Jesus in her heart, she shouldn't treat her husband that way! Preacher Steve just finished up a sermon series on Marriage...I think I might send it to her! ;) lol!

And...what do you really think about the tabloid rumors? I read that the other day and it made me wonder...

Brandy said...

I was like you...always watched the show every Monday night and the reruns over the summer. Shamar can't stand her attitude either. I think that she definitely goes over board with her outbursts. She does have a lot of things to worry about but on the other hand you have to think about how you treat others in the process. Also it is not good to talk to him that way in front of the kids.