Jan 22, 2009

This and That

~ My sister is having a boy! YAY! Lindsay and I do not have a brother, and Camryn is the only grandchild so far, so we need a boy in our family. Go here to see his first pictures! Precious!

~ When I told Camryn that Aunt Lindsay was having a boy she quickly informed me, "That's not what I wanted!" I asked what she wanted, and she said a girl. Oh well, better luck next time!

~ I, like many other Americans, was so intrigued with the inauguration and the coverage of the whole day on Tuesday. Regardless of whether or not you agree with who our president now is, the history of our country, the historic day Tuesday was, and the peaceful transfer of power in our nation has to make you proud. And, of course, I just loved seeing what everyone was wearing! I thought Michelle Obama looked beautiful. I also think someone should have told Aretha Franklin that hat was a definite DON'T!

~ How many of you are familiar with Nutella? My first experience with Nutella was on a trip to France in high school. Our group was in the French Quarter one afternoon and got Nutella crepes, and they were delicious! That was over 10 years ago, and today I bought my first jar of Nutella since that trip. I tried making my own crepes but when that went south, I spent the rest of my morning searching my kitchen, trying to find what it would taste good on next. I've even googled "uses for Nutella!" Right now I'm thinking peanut butter cupcakes with Nutella topping ... I'll let you know how that turns out!

~ While I was thinking of my trip to France, I remembered how, on our last day, we were allowed to have a free day and go anywhere we chose. Not with a chaperone, mind you ... on our own, just as long as we were at least in pairs. A group of 16, 17, and 18 year olds allowed to roam the streets of one of the largest cities in the world chaperone-less. Turn that one over in your head for a minute. When I think about my own child wandering the streets of Paris at 17 years old, the phrase "over my dead body" comes to mind.

~ I promise pictures of our house are coming soon. I know you have all given up on me when it comes to that. Seriously though, Jason and I have dubbed this weekend "Picture Hanging Weekend," so we will finally get some things on the walls, and I will get some pictures on here soon.

~ I really enjoy watching Robin Miller's Quick Fix Meals on Food Network. I have been trying some new recipes from her cookbook, and I have to say ... they just aren't that great. The concept is good: one huge recipe that morphs into 3 or 4 different meals. A great plan for a busy mom trying to get a quick, healthy meal on the table. The problem is, we just haven't been that crazy about the overall taste of the food and by the time you get to that 3rd or 4th recipe you are plain sick and tired of the original meal that goes into all of the recipes. I have one more of her recipes planned for next week that is a single meal instead of one that morphs, so maybe that will redeem it for us.

~ People who let you down make me really sad.

~ Camryn calls cinnamon graham crackers "dirty crackers." I don't know why she calls them that, but it makes me chuckle.

OK, now that I'm done unloading all of the random thoughts out of my head, have a good night!

8 comments:

Alison said...

- We are excited about your future nephew!

- Poor Camryn. At least she'll have another boy to boss around...she'll enjoy that more than she realizes. :)

- I was definitely glued to the TV for the inauguration. What an amazing event! I agree about Michelle Obama... she was stunning. And Aretha's hat?!?! Seriously, when the bow on a hat is bigger than the actual hat, it's not cute!

- I've heard of Nutella, but never tried it. You'll have to let us know how that works out!

- Yeah, teenagers roving the streets of France alone?!? That will never happen with Caleb...ever!

- First thing Monday morning, there better be some house pictures on this blog or I'm coming to take my own.

- Glad for the heads up on Robin Miller. I'll be sure to skip her recipes.

- Who let you down? Give me their name and address. I'll take care of it for you. ;)

- Dirty crackers?!? I laughed out loud when I read that!

Anonymous said...

Heather! Congrats to Lindsay on the boy! That is great! I can't wait to learn more!

I remember trying Nutella for the first time on that trip, too! However, I must admit I've bought several jars since then and have one in my pantry right now. I really like peanut butter and nutella sandwiches on toasted bread. (not healthy but very yummy!) Good for you for trying to even make crepes...I would butcher those if I tried.

I agree with you about the whole teen alone in France...and if I can recall, I believe you and I were a "PAIR" running around that area with the Arc de Triumphe! I remember our free day, Victor Li at the "disco" and Greg Fur yelling "stupid Americans!" in many public places! Oh, was that really 12 years ago??

Have a great weekend!
Erin

The Burleys said...

Peanut butter and nutella sandwiches!! Hmmmmmm ... I think I'll try that right after my cupcakes come out of the oven! Thanks, Erin! And, yes, I DO remember that you and I were a pair ... I think the picture of us in front of the Arc de Triumphe from that day is in the yearbook! Alison - if you come Monday, you can take pictures AND have a Nutella cupcake!

The Cassidys said...

Nutella is AMAZING! I was addicted to that stuff during my pregnancy. I would just eat it by the spoonful or with "dirty crackers". THat is hilarious by the way! Kids say the darnest things. And congrats on having a boy in the family!! That is so exciting! Keep us updated on what's going on with that! Love you!

Mary Ann said...

Tell your sister congratulations for me! When that baby gets here Cameron will not care what it is. She will love having someone to love on!

Mary Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The McConnell Clan said...

I love love love Nutella!!! When we lived overseas there was a big park and a guy that had a crepe wagon. My favorite was ham and cheese then a Nutella crepe for dessert. It is the most wonderful thing every!!

The McConnell Clan said...

BTW are you prego? Cuz all the talk of food and food combinations in this blog is a little strange! Just saying........