Jan 26, 2009

It's the Little Things

We decided to have Family Movie Night last Friday. Jason and I wanted Camryn to see Cinderella, so off I went to buy the DVD. Camryn has never seen any of the Disney princess movies, and we want to introduce them to her since she is just in love with everything princess these days! Because I haven't had a reason to buy a Disney movie in years, I forgot about the whole Disney "vault" thing. After searching Wal-Mart, Kmart, Best Buy, and Target online, we finally realized Cinderella must be one of the movies Disney currently has in the vault. Darn! So, we ordered the pizza, popped some popcorn, and decided to watch Finding Nemo. Do you realize how scary Finding Nemo can be when you're watching it through the eyes of an almost 3 year old? We only made it through about 40 minutes and then turned it off to finish the night with a couple episodes of Backyardigans. We still had the greatest time cuddling on the couch for the evening.

I love Camryn's new big girl bed. Not because it means she's such a big girl, but because every time I go in to wake her up in the morning or from a nap she says, "You can lay with me for a minute." So, I snuggle up beside her, and she always wants us to "sleep." This only last about 10 seconds though, because then she's on to chattering about something. Our preparation for "sleep" is always the sweetest, though. She always offers up one of her stuffed animals for me to hold and always makes sure we're both covered up. Then, she lays down and has to get thisclose to my face. Something always has to touch - our noses, our foreheads, our cheeks. That's how she likes to "sleep." And, of course, I just lay there with my heart melting while she breathes her hot little breath in my face. And, of course, 10 seconds later, it's over.

My husband is doing such a sweet thing for me today. We switched cars so he could take mine in for an oil change. Now this may not be a big deal to you, but I can't stand taking my car in for this service. Inevitably, every time I'm there, the service guys are going to try and tell me something new that's wrong with my car that I need to pay extra money to have fixed. Or, they're going to preach to me about the more expensive oil I need or something else that needs to be done, just because I am a girl, and they think I don't know any better (the truth is I don't, so that's why I send my husband!). Girls, you have to know exactly what I am talking about. Jason and I even did an experiment once. At the place where I got my oil changed in Anderson, I got a speech THREE times in a row from the service guy about how I needed a new air filter. Every time I turned him down, I got the "stupid girl eye roll" as he walked away. On the fourth time I sent Jason and do you think they mentioned one thing to him about the air filter? Nope. Nada. So, believe me, it is an act of true love for my husband to do this for me. Not to mention how germy I always feel after sitting in the waiting room of those oil change places. Don't even get me started.

4 comments:

Alison said...

As Caleb started watching Disney movies, we really realized how horribly scary some parts of them were. When a scary part starts, we just pause it and ask Caleb to go grab one of his "friends" (stuffed animals) from his room. While he is picking one out, we skip that scene and re-pause it at at happier spot. Works like a charm. There was no show-down between Ursula and Ariel in The Little Mermaid at our house, no stampede in The Lion King, etc.

Also, I know what you mean about car places. I've had the same experience. Isaac always takes my car now.

KLee said...

Bummer Cinderella is in the vault. So is Beauty and the Beast. We skip some scary parts and talk about others (like the sharks in Nemo). E LOVES the sharks now. We play up how silly they are, etc. I still skip the abyss part!
Peter Pan is heading to the vault at the end of the month. So if you want to watch it in the next, say 10 years, you might want to get it. I am planning to get it and save it until the time is right.

Anonymous said...

Okay try watching Prince of EGYPT!!! GREAT..I walked out of the room and William was freaking out because alligators were eating babies??? WHAT the HECK?????

Anonymous said...

Emily Said...
I will just have to bring you some of my disney princess movies... I have them all!!! You name it and i will bring it to you!!!