Apr 1, 2008

The Wrath of Camryn

Last night I was an eye witness to the first ever, all-out, full-blown, no holds bar Camryn temper tantrum. This little display was the culmination of a weekend of crying and melt downs over not getting her way, not having things "just so" ... you name it, she melted down over it. For example, I asked her on Saturday morning if she wanted oatmeal or grits. She said grits. When we sat down to eat, she pitched a fit because she wanted oatmeal. We played with her dollhouse, and she told me to sit the grandma in the chair. I did and that started a melt-down because I didn't place grandma two more degrees to the left like she felt I should have. After consultation with other mothers, they have assured me this is just a 2-year old thing. She's trying to become more independent, she's testing her boundaries, etc. But on to the tantrum ...

After she finished supper last night she asked for a cookie. While I was cleaning off her hands, Jason was playing with her. She swatted (playfully) at him, and we asked her not to do that. She did it again, and we told her not to hit. So, she smacked the side of her chair. I told her if she did that again I would not give her a cookie. She looked me straight in the eye and whapped the side of the chair. I took her out of her chair and told her she would not get a cookie. Then the theatrics began - there was some high stepping that would have made any step team proud, some arm flailing, some running in circles, and finally a big flop onto the floor. Wow. As a picked all 27 1/2 pounds of her dead weight off the floor, I couldn't help but snicker to myself (definitely not where she could see!) because I was thinking, "Did this kid really just have a tantrum?" She got a nice swat on the behind, and I carried her to her room for a time out.

And, the fun didn't stop there!!! After she was allowed out of her room she asked for a cookie again. I calmly told her no, and she flopped into the middle of the den floor and began wailing and failing. I looked at Jason and mouthed "Ignore her." So, we did. He continued playing the Wii. I finished the dishes, cleaned up around her, and sat on the couch to work on a grocery list. Within about 5 minutes she had stopped and asked me to read a book.

I was obviously angry, but I was also slightly humored at this whole "production." Did she really think that was going to get her the cookie? Did she really think she was going to win??? Just can't wait for our next show down!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

SE said...
Have you ever considered a career in writing? That was a most descriptive entry, I felt like I was right there in it (and I kind of giggled at the thought of Camryn thinking she can pull one over on you two...y'all are way tougher than that!).

Michelle said...

I always love winning. We battled James in a restaurant once...he wanted to go ride cars and we wanted him to eat. I told him he could not ride the cars until he ate 10 bites. We struggled with him for about 45 minutes before we won and he ate his 10 bites. They are definitely a power struggle!!

And the most difficult part about a 2-year-old thing...is the "year" part! James is almost 3 and still testing the boundaries even though he knows them...I'm also a little worried b/c I've heard 3 is worse...yikes!

Anonymous said...

I'm VERY proud of you for sticking to your guns! Its hard...but you did the RIGHT thing! Sorry to say that is not the last time you witness an alien ship come in and take your sweet baby girl and replace her with some sort of evil twin. We often ask William when he will return to his "home planet" HAHAHAHA I think Jordan likes to win these battles more than me...I usually cry --and YES 3 is a little more interesting....they know more words and can push different buttons--GOOD TIMES

The Burleys said...

Yes, it made me feel good to win that particular battle. It kind of makes up for those times where you sit there and think, "I just let her get away with murder!"

Anonymous said...

That story is the best - do I get to witness those in May?! I really may burst out laughing!

Anonymous said...

Kudos to you for staying strong! Isn't it just absolutely comical at times, though? Isaac and I have decided that Caleb has skipped the terrible twos/threes and gone straight to teenager. Yesterday morning, he came into the living room and, before I could even say 'Good morning', Caleb said, "Don't say 'Hey'." Yikes! Hope Camryn is feeling better soon.