Sep 14, 2007

KWH Memories Continued

JESSICA
One of my favorite memories of Kate Wofford Hall would be doing our scavenger hunt during Staff Training. We took good ole Kate (the portrait that hung in our front lobby) with us wherever we went. One time, we were running from the Music building after taking a picture with Kate and the scavenger hunt item. Just as we were leaving, Public Safety drove by. Because we were running and looking sneaky, (we didn't want the other staff teams to steal our idea) Public Safety honestly thought we were stealing the picture from the building. We had to explain ourselves. Luckily we were all cute and convincing! That scavenger hunt was the best in my three years as an RA!

More fun memories are just all of the crazy stuff Chrissy did. Between riding around on her scooter and climbing in the box to pretend to be a cat, we were always having a good laugh with Chrissy.

I would NEVER trade my KWH memories for the world. I have made such amazing friends. From Twizzlers to bellybuttons, cornflake ice cream desserts (I need that recipe, Heather), Desk Duty and staff meetings, all of it will hold a special place in my heart ... and scrapbook! :-) We will also keep making more memories!


SARAH D.
I remember carrying Kate around town for the RA scavenger hunt (it was about time she got out and about!) and worrying that we were going break/drop the portrait. I remember Jenny always having the craziest resident stories at staff meetings, including the guy the peed in the cup rather than use the hall bathroom (or go downstairs like he should). I also remember Amanda teaching us the choreography to the Britney Spears "Oops I Did It Again" video while having a mini dance party in the basement. I learned a lot about arts and crafts from the women of KWH, particularly the art of the paint pen, fancy lettering, and lots and lots about scrapbooking. We may not have been perfect RAs, but most of you were bulletin board superstars!

It's funny I didn't think I remembered that much until I sat down to write this, and I kept thinking of funny stories from KWH. I'll just leave you with this one memory of yet another failing on my part to do my RA duties: At the very beginning of the year, shortly after freshman move-in day, I was standing in the hallway on my floor waiting for the elevator. I heard someone coming down the hall and looked up to see a drop-dead gorgeous young man walking toward me wearing nothing but a towel (he'd just come out of the shower). My jaw about dropped to floor, and I just stood there in stunned silence that there was this hot mostly naked guy in my hallway. He said "hello" and walked into the room next door to mine, and I just got on the elevator without saying a word to him. I guess I should have written him or my resident up, but at the time I didn't even know where to begin. In hindsight I probably should have called you all up to join me in writing up the hot mostly naked guy. It would have been a good staff bonding activity :)

JENNY
My favorite moments would probably go down as some mundane night watching Friends in Heather’s apartment or just laughing through a staff meeting with eight girls who ended up really making my college experience … some evening completely boring and wonderful.

But for the sake of not putting your blog readers to sleep, how about the evening I was on call and was notified that my resident had taken it upon herself (which was very unusual that year for any of the girls to try and solve their own problems) to call Dr. DiGorgio (the Winthrop University president!) at 10pm on a SATURDAY NIGHT because she had ants in her room. No call down to the front desk for ant spray. No trip out to Walgreens for some Raid. Just call old Anthony and see what he's up to Saturday evening and if he has any ant killer in his pantry.


MY TURN!!
My favorite memory from Wofford Hall is the morning of the 5 AM fire drill! As the RD, I was in charge of planning periodic fire drills. One particular week, I planned my fire drill for 9 PM, and let my RA’s know when it would be so they would be prepared. Somehow on the night of the drill, word started spreading among the residents that there would be a drill taking place. They hated being interrupted by the drills, and thought they would outsmart us. So, 10 minutes before my drill, one of the RA’s called and told me the residents knew about it, and told me I should look outside. I went to the front door and saw about 100 of the residents already sitting outside waiting for the fire drill to go off. I was furious! I immediately called the drill off and planned revenge. If they were going to ruin my fire drill, I would show them! At the next staff meeting, I somehow convinced my RA’s that a 5 AM fire drill would be appropriate (to this day, I’m still not sure how I got them to go along with me!). I would give them all wake up calls, we would do our drill, and then we would go down to the first floor kitchen and have a staff breakfast. That was really the BEST fire drill! That loud, shrill, grating alarm went off at 5 AM sharp, and 400 girls marched past me in their PJs out into the chilly morning air glaring at me as if they would kill me in my sleep later that night. It was GREAT!!! When the drill was over, my staff gathered in our staff room for a breakfast of scrambled eggs, toast, grits, and bacon, and we laughed all morning long about how mad the residents would be at us. Believe it or not, I don’t think any of them tried to get back at us … although I wouldn’t have blamed them if they did!!!

0 comments: