Sep 18, 2008

Bringing Up Girls

I am so excited, because I was looking around on the Focus on the Family website today and saw a link for for "parenting girls." Since I need all the help I can get in that area, I clicked on it and saw that Dr. Dobson is planning a 2009 release of his book Bringing Up Girls! Can I just tell you how long I have been waiting for this book and wondering when it would finally be released? I remember sitting at my friend, Beth's house when her first son William was born and reading her copy of Bringing Up Boys almost in one sitting (I think Beth was still at work and the guys were playing Playstation, so I needed something to keep me entertained). At the time I thought, "Where is a book about girls? I need that!" That was about 2 years before I was even pregnant, but I just always knew I'd have a girl! I think, at the time, Dr. Dobson believed a book about boys was more important, as parents faced a more difficult task raising boys. However, he noted in the article I read this morning:

"At the time, I was convinced that the challenges facing boys in the 21st century were of greater concern and significance than those facing girls. Now, having researched the issue extensively, it is clear that girls are in as much trouble as boys. Their parents face the overwhelming task of trying to help them navigate through the cultural wasteland."

Amen, Dr. Dobson! I cannot wait for this book to come out. I will be one of the first people standing in line for it!

6 comments:

KLee said...

I am so excited!! It's about time to have a Dobson resource for us!

Anonymous said...

Cool. I will need both books soon, lol.

The Cassidys said...

ummm - i think i need the boys book. can i just get that in a bookstore or does it have to be a christian bookstore?

The McConnell Clan said...

That is awesome! I need to get "Bringing up Boys" as well, but I have always wondered why there wasn't one for girls! We could really use it now too, with a 3 yr old in the house with alot of attitude!:) Hee Hee!

Carrie said...

I read Bringing up Boys when I found out Alex was a boy, and it has helped me tremendously! However, I have a spoiled rotten little girl and I NEED guidance on her! I am so excited you have enlightened me!

Adriennealine said...

Hey, try to catch Fireproof at the movies this weekend! Look for me in one of the cafeteria scenes and in the credits! :)

What church are you guys at now? One of my best friends has in-laws in Lancaster.