Jul 13, 2008

Our Big News

Today we did one of the hardest things we've ever done which was announce to our church family that Jason will be leaving in August to accept a position as full time minister of music and worship at a church in Lancaster, SC. This has been in the works for us since the beginning of April, but for obvious reasons, it was not something we could talk about, discuss, or that I could blog about until we were sure it was definite. I don't even know where to begin to express my feelings about this move for us. On the positive side, it is truly an answer to our prayers and our families' prayers. Of course, having a child completely changes the way you view everything. Being a newlywed couple, I think it was a great thing for us to be in Anderson - a place that was comfortable for us because we met and went to college here but far enough away from our parents that we were allowed to be independent and learn to be a married couple. Once Camryn came into the picture, we really started to wish we were closer to our family. Jason and I both grew up with both sets of grandparents in the same town we lived in and playing a huge part in our lives. We, obviously, want that for Camryn as well. Jason was also very close to his aunts, uncles, and cousins growing up, and we want our daughter (and any future kids!) to have that same closeness with her family. The move to Lancaster puts us right in the middle of Jason's parents, my parents, and our sisters. This is also an exciting opportunity for Jason. He is going to a church that has some great talent waiting there but is basically a blank slate. He has the opportunity to really grow and stretch the music program at this new church. We are also very excited about the kind and welcoming people we have met there and the enthusiasm of the staff.

The negative for us, of course, is the reality of having to leave a place we now consider our home. I have tears in my eyes even as I'm typing this because we have met and grown to love some of the most wonderful, giving, precious people I know we will ever meet. We have invested in them, and they have so lovingly invested in our family, and it will be one of the hardest things ever to leave them. Without our immediate family here, they have become our family. They know everything about us (sometimes more than they want to know probably!) but love us anyway. Anderson is so special to us - we met here, had our first home here (the crazy basement apartment and our home now), had our first child here, had our first church here, and have been loved here. There will never be a moment that the people won't be in our thoughts and in our hearts!

So, right now, we are soaking in every bit of Anderson that we can! We're going out to eat way too much at all our favorite places, making ourselves permanent fixtures at some of our friends' homes, and just spending every free moment we can with people that we love. There are some scary unknowns out there right now for us - we have to sell our house in a pretty bad real estate market, we have to find a house that fits our taste and our budget, we have to find a daycare for Camryn, and I have to find a job! But, we are determined to give God all of the glory in this situation and know He has the details all worked out - we just have to be patient and watch them unfold. This has definitely been a decision we, our family, and our friends have prayed hard about, and we really feel God is leading us to this new town and church. This has to be a God thing, otherwise, I would not allow my husband to move me to a town without a Chili's! So, please be in prayer for us. This is huge, this is hard for us and our church, but it is also exciting. We'll keep you updated as it all happens!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I know everything will work out great for you guys and I'm so proud of you for leaning on God for this decision! I actually have friends in Lancaster - I think I must know people everywhere! Ha ha! Lancaster isn't so far away from Anderson to make it impossible to visit for a day or weekend. And, BTW, I'm SO with you on the Chilis comment!

Anonymous said...

W & J's Mimi says:
that you will have to enjoy the Wagon Wheel and The Fish Camp! HEHE

We are soooooooo excited for you 3! what a wonderful journey you are on with your sweet family! Good to know you have such awesome friends like SE and Jeff and well...of course US that will not let too much time go by before we get our Burley fix! GOD is allof you during this transition! We can't wait for all the stories to come over the next few months! Glad we could be a part of this time in your lives! Love you!

Danielle said...

Congrats!! I know it will be hard to leave Anderson, but you are really going to love being closer to your families. We are all going to love having you closer, too!!

Anonymous said...

SE said...
Wow...that post made it seem really real. As of right now, we plan to visit monthly, so make sure the guest room is very cute! We love you guys so much and are so happy for you.

The Cassidys said...

OMG - I am sad for you guys because I know how much you love Anderson, but I am happy because you will be closer to us! God will work it all out for you - obviously he is already at work! I will be praying for you guys and I can't wait until ya'll are closer! And yes, there isn't a Chili's in Lancaster, but at least there is one in Rock Hill! :)

Anonymous said...

I was in the 3 yr old childrens church, so I missed the announcement...I will miss ya'll and It won't seem like Covenant without Jason leading the music! Everything will work out and I wish ya'll the best of luck! Keep doing the blog so we can keep in touch and see how things are going with ya'll! awww, I'm sad :(

Anonymous said...

I was in the 3 yr old childrens church, so I missed the announcement...I will miss ya'll and It won't seem like Covenant without Jason leading the music! Everything will work out and I wish ya'll the best of luck! Keep doing the blog so we can keep in touch and see how things are going with ya'll! awww, I'm sad :(

Anonymous said...

Good luck with everything! We have moved several times, so I can understand where you are coming from. I am sure all will work out smoothly for you guys. I will forgive you for not moving where there is a Chili's, lol.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jason,
Just ran across this today for the first time..glad to hear that things are going well for you...i think it's been about 10 years since i've seen you!
-travis