Oct 23, 2007

Mom's Spaghetti Sauce

I realized I haven't posted a recipe in a while, so I thought I would share one of my very favorites - my mom's spaghetti sauce. I don't think I ever remember a jar of Prego or Ragu darkening the door of our home when I was young. If we ever had spaghetti, Mom always made this sauce. It is so good and so versatile. Whenever I make it for guests, I make one pot according to the recipe and another one omitting the onions, peppers, and mushrooms for anyone who doesn't like those. There are a few ingredients that you add "to taste" and I know that will annoy some people because it's not exact. Just start with a little (esp. with the mustard - too much can ruin it) and add until it's the way you like it.

Spaghetti Sauce
1 lb. hamburger
1 cup ketchup
1 can tomato sauce (not the small can - soup can size)
1 can tomato soup
1 sm. onion diced (more or less depending on your taste)
1 bell pepper diced
1 can mushrooms, drained
mustard (to taste - start with a tsp. then add more if needed)
chili powder (to taste)
garlic powder (to taste)
salt, pepper (to taste)
bay leaves

Brown hamburger. Add garlic powder and onion as you brown the hamburger. When hamburger has browned, drain, and transfer to crockpot. Add other ingredients to the crockpot - ketchup, tomato sauce, tomato soup, bell pepper, mushrooms, mustard, chili powder, a little more garlic powder, and salt and pepper. Remember not to add too much mustard as it will overpower. Stir to blend all ingredients. Lay two bay leaves on top and simmer for 30 - 45 on high. Stir from time to time so as not to burn. Serve over your favorite pasta! Don't forget to take the bay leaves out!

5 comments:

Adriennealine said...

ok, I am so not a chef and I'm afraid I'm about to prove it with this question... is that like mustard in a jar like French's? or is like powdered mustard in the spice section?

Can't wait to try this out!

The Burleys said...

That is a VERY good question! It is just the regular yellow mustard - nothing special!

Anonymous said...

hey - you make yours different than I do - you add tomato soup. Does Mom add that to her spaghetti sauce? The recipe she gave me is Grandpa's chili - and his didn't include tomoato soup.

The Burleys said...

Mom handwrote my recipe for me before I got married. That's what I've used ever since then. Grandpa's chili is a totally different recipe (I thought!). That's why I asked you for it a couple of weeks ago.

Anonymous said...

OH no sounds like your mom gave you guys BOGUS recipes to preserve her secret! Good thinking Mom Lussier! HEHEHEHE I'm not feeling the whole mustard thing but I trust ya on this one ...maybe you will have to make me some to test it out!