Jun 24, 2008

Random

Today I am singing the praises of the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I bought one the other day and my walls look like new! The halls in our house were especially bad because the previous owners had two young daughters who apparently thought it was Ok to use to walls as a palate for their drawings. Add my daughter to the mix, and those were some pretty marked up walls! One note of caution, though - my sister used the magic eraser and didn't have such great results. It left noticeable marks on her wall where she used it, so test a little spot first, let it dry, and see what it looks like before you use it all over your wall!

Does anyone have any advice for potty training a too-smart-for-her-own-good, stubborn two-year old who is choosing not to use the potty? If you remember, at this time last year, she was showing interest in the potty, going on a pretty regular basis, and even wearing big girl pant**ies (sorry, didn't want to attract any crazies!) at daycare. Now we are to the point where she could care less whether or not she goes to the potty and doesn't even bother to tell us when she has pooped in her diaper. She could sit in it for an hour and not even care. Now, that is a major step backwards for us. And, I know she is just making the choice not to go because she is FULLY capable of being potty trained right now. We offer stickers, I've showed her the big girl pant**ies and promised to let her wear them, she's interested in them, and talks about them, but still .... nothing.


Another new blog! Amanda is one of the RA's I worked with at Winthrop, and I just love her! Her little boy is precious and you can read all about him (and Amanda and her husband!) here: http://www.thecassidycrew.blogspot.com

Camryn made elephant ears at daycare yesterday. Jason and I thought she was pretty funny. She has a weird look on her face because she was making her elephant noise as I took the picture. I think she looks more like Pocahontas or something!

8 comments:

KLee said...

Training: we did the 3daypottytraining.com. I made some modifications that I thought would fit us a bit more. I wasn't as hard core as this mom was, but it also took us more than three days. When we were home she was in BGP. Slowly we started wearing them out of the house. It took her probably two-three weeks until she told us BEFORE she had to go. We are still having a few accidents, but she's two! :) Oh and for us, chocolate and M&Ms were a WONDERFUL reward!
Hope this helps. Don't stress over it. She will use the potty when she is ready.

Anonymous said...

Different things worked for my girls. For Lexie, just the panties were reward enough. For Alivia we used a reward chart and she got m&m's when she went potty (1 for #1 and 2 for #2). It just takes time. For some reason when they are ready, it just seems to click. Good luck!

tug-tugandnor-nor's mommy said...

Love the magic erasers. I clean EVERYTHING with them. Potty training-bribery is what worked for us. I am convinced I had the most stubborn boy to potty train. The promise of a match box car worked wonders.

Ansley said...

We just made the switch from diapers to pant**s. I took a whole day and I asked her about every hour if she had to go. We used M&M's for about a week and that was it. Good Luck I hope she decides to pick it back up soon ~

The Cassidys said...

Heather - thanks for the "shout out"! You're so sweet! Of course I have not gone though potty training but a friend of mine from church did a neat thing, but it really takes discipline and you not going anywhere for a week, which sometimes is not feasible, esp. with going to church. she had her 3 kids run around the house for 1 to 2 weeks with no undies on at all, just a long t shirt to cover any privates. then she would reward them with m&m's when they went #1 and #2. that means they did not leave the house at all, or at least the parents would switch off. it may work ok for you since you are home all summer. it sounds a little crazy but she swore it worked like a charm. she said when they could feel the diaper pressing against their skin, that would make them want to go potty. hey, anything is worth trying right? i hope ya'll are doing well! love you!!

Michelle said...

Oh my! Potty Training!!! Let's just say we started off similar to how you did. We went in the potty quite a few times...seemed to be making progress, and then he just lost interest. He started telling me "no potty, want diaper". Now we're 3, and we're still in that stage!!! He's just not bothered by being messy...I'm hoping he'll be bothered soon!

W and Js mommy said...

Okay! First of all you guys have to realize its just as much a behavior change for her as it HAS to be for you guys too! Taking them to the potty every half hour and asking them a million times a day is a freaking pain( just being honest) HOWEVER if you can train YOUR brain to asking her and taking her then it will not seem like such a chore and she will just know that its what you do now! W's major problem is that when he was in the middle of things he would not stop to go...and that my friend is disobedinece....she is one smart cookie...she will get it! I promise she will not go to 1st grade in a diaper! HAHA See you guys at lunch we love you!

Anonymous said...

I have heard so many people talking about potty trianing their kids lately, I am thinking it will not be easy and I'll have plenty of people to get advise from when the day does come! Don't worry, I haven't meet anyone that hasn't conquered the evil potty training days. This too, shall pass...hehe.