Jul 19, 2010

3 Week Check Up

I thought I'd give an update on how we're doing at 3 weeks. But first, some sweetness ...








We took Ella for her 3 week appointment last week. She was 20 inches long and weighed 8 lbs., 5 oz. She finally gained her birthweight back, plus a bit more! I did a happy dance right in the doctor's office hallway. The doctor said she looks great!

Our biggest frustration right now is nighttime sleep. If Ella would follow a "typical" newborn schedule and wake up to eat every 2-3 hours, I'd be in heaven. However, our little stinker loves to be rocked to sleep until she's out like a light, then wakes up as soon as she's put down. It makes for some really long nights when I rock, rock, rock, put her down and then have to start all over again when she immediately wakes up. Sometimes it's an almost 2 hour process just to get her to sleep independently for 30 minutes. I have to admit, there are times my desire for sleep takes over, and I give up and take her to the couch to sleep with me - because, of course, she sleeps like a champ when she's being held! My hope is that if I keep trying again and again something will eventually click as she gets a little older, and she will get better at sleeping on her own over time. Fingers crossed, anyway!

Other than that, we were all really spoiled during the last part of the week when our friend, Sarah Ellen came to stay with us. I like to say we had our own personal Mary Poppins with us for a few days, because SE cooked three meals for us (creme brulee french toast, marinated pork chops, zucchini pie, and other yummy stuff!), helped with both girls, kept Ella from screaming in the backseat during our first outing to Target and Chili's, and even stayed up late one night to hold Ella so I could get a few hours of uninterrupted sleep. I really almost cried when she left on Saturday.

This week we're looking forward to more visits from family - Ella will get to meet one set of her great-grandparents today - and Ella's first trip to church on Sunday. We're just amazed that time has already flown by so quickly that she will be one month old that day!

5 comments:

Jeff, Sarah Ellen, and Beck said...

I enjoyed every moment of it and can't wait to come back for more.

Mary Ann said...

She is precious! I can't wait to have her in the nursery.

w and js mommy said...

SHE IS CAM's CLONE!!!! AMazing how sweet she is--MAKE MORE BABIES you guys make cute ones! Haaaaaa
About the sleep thing: Jay started sleepign through the night 11-5 about 8 weeks. I did use the swaddle until then and then when he went into his crib about 6 weeks used the sleep sacks I promise you(at least in my head) they did the trick! PRaying for some sleep.
Love you

Danielle said...

We had the same problem with Blair the first month or so. You are not alone, I held her several nights just so we could both get some sleep. It won't be long and you will be able to get somewhat normal sleep.

Kenya said...

Sweet! Just wondering, Do you call her Claire or Ella? I love the names you pick out. Maybe you can give me ideas for mine. Hopefully it's a girl!