Aug 20, 2010

Disney Hooks

Most of you know we are Disney crazy here in the Burley household! Once we get back from one trip, we spend all of our time daydreaming about and planning for our next one (and, yes, we do already have the next one planned for 2013!)

We love Disney so much we try to get as much of it as we can in between trips. We watch TV specials, we've subscribed to a Disney magazine, and we get the weekly Disney newsletter, All Ears. Yes, folks, we are Disney dorks, although we prefer Disney enthusiasts, thank you very much! In a recent edition of All Ears, there was an article about Disney Hooks. A Disney Hook is that specific memory that "grabs" or "hooks" you every time you visit. It's the memory that can't be experienced anywhere else, that makes you sigh and say, "Ah! I'm at Disney World!" The perfect example that is probably a universal hook for anyone who has been to Disney is when you first turn onto Main Street USA and see Cinderella Castle. It's one of those memories you can't experience anywhere else, and you definitely know you're AT Disney World when you catch a glimpse of that beautiful castle!

So, I know this won't apply for everyone who reads my blog, but for those of you who have been to Disney - what are your hooks?

Here are my top three:

1. Riding It's A Small World, hearing the first few lines of the song, and seeing those adorable dolls! Maybe it's because this ride is one of the most vivid memories I have from my first trip to Disney in 5th grade, but every time we get on that ride, I look at Jason and say, "I am definitely at Disney!" It's always been one of my hooks, I've just never had a label for it until now!

2. When I hear the music begin for the SpectroMagic parade at Magic Kingdom. I adore that parade and the anticipation building up to it when you're sitting on the sidewalks of Main Street USA waiting for it to begin!

3. The show that opens the park at Magic Kingdom each day. It always makes Jason and me teary-eyed when our baby (and babies in 2013!) sees Mickey Mouse for the first time!

3 comments:

Jeff, Sarah Ellen, and Beck said...

My Disney hook is eating a Mickey Mouse ice cream. The trip is not complete until I have gulped down an ice cream (gulped, because it is usually melting in the hot summer sun). Now I really want one!

Danielle said...

We are already planning our next trip too. I believe we will be going in January 2013,(before Blair is 3, so she can be free!)

The SC Denneys said...

I am a Pirates of the Carribean and Small World fan.But if I was going to say a hook, it would be the clock outside Disney, it is made of greenery and all the topiaries(sp?).